CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 29, 2010

Spotlight Author with Connie Wood

It's about that time again. Yep, you guessed it, Spotlight Author and this week I have Connie Wood visiting all the way from Australia. So everybody give her a warm welcome while I interview her and we talk about her latest release DARK MOON.

So lets not wait any longer. Connie tell us a little bit about DARK MOON.

DARK MOON is a paranormal romance revolving around Tynan, a venator, a hunter of the shape shifters. He is in exile in Alaska until the death of his brother brings him back to his home town and his past deeds. There are shape shifters of all breeds including, wolves, polar bears, and huskys. There are also those who hunt the shifters, the venators, all sexy, talented and hidden secrets. It is a story of redemption, revenge, blood shed, betrayal and most of all, the strength of true love.

Wow! It sounds very intense!

What do Connie Wood fans have to look forward to in 2010?

I am so excited about 2010! DARK MOON was released on March 4th and there will be much more for the remainder of the year. The world of the DARK MOON will be expanded, with more exciting venators and shifters stories to be told.

Can't wait! :)

So tell us, Connie... what is your writing process?

I am definitely a plotter. My story ideas seem to come from the smallest inspiration, such as, a word or phrase, a picture, a character trait. I then sit down and write out the story outline. True, sometimes the story does change slightly from the plot, but the major plot points always stay the same.

Do you have any tricks of the trade that you are willing to share with us?

I am fairly new to this business, but the learning curve has been very dramatic. Learning the craft can be difficult, but well worth it. Be professional, courteous and always stay true to your heart. Because that is where truly inspirational writing comes from.

Very true!

What do you think makes your writing unique?

I hope my writing voice and style is unique. Most story plots have been done, the stories uniqueness comes from the variations the writer can put into the familiar story. the words "once upon a time" are always the same, but what comes next is where a great writer can bring the reader into a new world. Also the characters in my books offer a uniqueness to all my stories. I try to make them as rounded and "real"
as I can. I tend to fall in love with them and hope my readers do too.

How many titles do you have available and do any of them have connecting story lines?

DARK MOON, available through Pink Petal Books, will hopefully have a continuing storyline. The entire world created within DARK MOON thrilled and captivated me. I would be honored to be able to tell the story of others within this world.

THE VETERAN is a stand alone romantic suspense available from Pink Petal Books. THE VETERAN was very close to my heart as it was the first book I ever wrote.

FALLEN FAE is a novella available through Freya's Bower, it is a romantic fantasy about fallen angels, fairys and true love.

They all sound amazing Connie. I imagine that every book an author writes has a special place in their hearts. They are much like the children that we have birthed. Can you tell us what you are working on now?

I am currently working on the sequel to DARK MOON. It is the story of Dane, a secondary character in DARK MOON. I am loving his story and where it is taking the characters and the world of DARK MOON.

Where does your inspiration come from?

Inspiration comes from different things. A phrase, a picture, a song, a person, a new story, even a dream. Inspiration comes from the heart and soul, the same place where you need to be when you write.

What do you do when you get stuck?

A walk in the fresh air does wonders. I can't remember who said it, but "angels whisper to you when you go for a walk". Also going back to the initial inspiration can help when I get stuck. Looking at the picture which brought about the entire story idea can help bring back the excitement for the story.

How do you deal with criticism?

Criticism is hard. Most writers are emotional, they have to be, to be able to write well. So when my work is criticized, I let the emotional response work through and then I allow my analytical response. I can then look at the criticism and see if there is a legitimate basis. If there is, then I change my work. Sometimes it is hard, especially for beginning writers to know what criticism to accept and what to reject. Listening to your heart and story is important, but growing and learning as a writer means listening and incorporating.

Any advice for aspiring authors?

First write the story. Don't write part of it, then edit and then go on. You will get so caught up in edits and other opinions of your story that you will confuse yourself and never get it done. Write the story and then you can begin to edit. Don't lose the momentum of your writing.

Writing is hard, as a business and an art. But don't give up. Realize what level of writing and how much time and effort you are willing to give to the craft. there are many differing levels of writing. Not everyone has to be the next big writing star. Even if you write for free reads or for your family, you are still a writer.

If you love to write, YOU ARE A WRITER!!!

Thank you for that, Connie. That is great advice. Sometimes it is hard to remember when you are trying so hard to get that story out.

Now, just for fun I have put together a few quick questions.

Vampires or Werewolves-
Wow, hard question, I so love both f them. But seeing I have shape-shifters in the DARK MOON series I have to say werewolves.

Chick Flicks or Horror Films-
I would love to say horror films, but the more recent ones seem to be getting stranger and a lot more gory. I prefer the scary, suspense...waiting for the axe to drop so to speak.

Love Letters or Serenade-
Definitely love letters. I have been serenaded once, it was rather awkward. It is much more romantic in the stories.

What is your i-Pod loaded with right now?
It is very eclectic. I have Pink's albums along with the soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans.

Warm Sunny Days or Snugly Rainy Days-
Snugly rainy days. Nothing better for curling up in bed, a good book and listening to the rain.

Connie, thanks for stopping by my site for this interview. It's been great having you here.

Thank you so much, Micole for having me here. It has been an honor to be part of your blog. i love your questions, they really made me think.:)

You can find Connie Wood's books at www.conniewood.co.cc or www.pinkpetalbooks.com or www.freyasbower.com Also in order to celebrate the release of DARK MOON, Connie is giving away an 8gb. i-Pod touch!!! In order to be in the drawing you have to send proof of purchase (ie. a copy of the receipt) of the DARK MOON ebook book to her at thedarkmoon@rocketmail.com Thank you all for sharing your time with Connie and I. See you next time.

Hugs

Micole Black


4 comments:

Sarah Simas said...

HI Connie and Micole!!

YAY! Two of my favorite gals in one place!((hugs!))

Connie, my friend, you always have such awesome advice. lol I've cried on your shoulder more times than I can count and you never fail to boost my spirits. You rock! :)

Thanks, Micole, for putting the spotlight on such a FABULOUS person and writer!

Connie said...

Hi Sarah,
Gosh, you should see me blushing!!! You give me so much praise, but dont forget that you (like the writer you are) have that magical spark inside that makes you a fabulous writer. I only ever encouraged what was already there :)
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this interview. It means so much to me.
It also means a lot to be invited here to such a great blog.
Thanks Sarah,
Cheers
Connie

Donna OBrien said...

Hi Connie and Micole!!!

So good to "hear" from you Connie. LOL I absolutely love your advice about just writing the story for new writers and not getting caught up in edits. Great advice! Hard to do, but great advice! So looking forward to reading Dark Moon. Thanks for having such wonderful guests on your blog Micole! Way to go!

Slainte

Donna O'Brien

Connie said...

Hi Donna,
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read my interview.
It is hard to just write the story, which is also ironic, seeing it is the thing you most want to do as a writer.
It is something that I struggle to do as well.
I truly hope you enjoy reading Dark Moon.
Thanks so much,
Cheers
Connie