CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Acquiring Editor Donna O'Brien from Crescent Moon Press

Hey Donna, I am so happy to share my blog space with you today. Can we start off by having you tell the readers a little bit about yourself?

Thanks so much for having me Micole! Let’s see condensed version…I’ve got four kids, and two grandgirls. My husband and I will celebrate our 25th Anniversary this year and he is my real life hero.

Tell us about the publishing house that you work for, Crescent Moon Press.

Short version: Completely awesome! A little longer version: Crescent Moon Press was formed as an independent boutique publisher and prides itself on writing out of the box story lines as well as its professionalism. We support our authors and provide assistance with marketing, publish simultaneously in print and digital formats and allow considerable input as far as cover design and titles.

Does Crescent Moon Press accept non agented writers?

Yes we do. We believe that diamond in the rough deserves a chance as well as the polished gem. So both agented and non-agented writers are welcome at CMP.

Is there something specific you are looking for in a manuscript?

I am actively seeking urban fantasy, sci-fi, time travel, high fantasy, a great new twist on an old myth, anything dark, dangerous and full of beings with that something extra that bring make believe to life, fast paced YA, and New Adult (17-25 y/o protags) with more on their mind than school and dating. If the premise is powerfully unique, the voice unforgettable, and the writing pristine, then I want to see that story.

What do you not want to see?

I do not want to see the same old, same old or a fabulous plot poorly written. That’s sooo disappointing.

Once you have fallen in love with a manuscript, where does it go from there?

I send a desperate plea to my publisher to let me buy the manuscript with a description of the story and why I think it would be marketable. If I get the approval, then I send an offer to the author.

What does a day in the life of an acquiring editor look like?

BUSY!!! LOL Reading submissions and queries, requesting fulls if I like the query. Editing manuscripts. Responding to authors questions about the progress of their book. Calming their anxieties if they are a new author. Rejecting queries. E-mails galore! Attending a conference here or there to accept pitches. Approving blurbs and bios. Um….I’m sure I left something out. Maybe eating something once and a while and then there’s the mom stuff too. ;)

Thank you Donna, for spending the day with us here at Micole Writes Romance.

Thanks again for having me Micole! I’d also like to invite any of your readers out there who are going to attend the RT Convention in April, to look me up. I’ll be available at the Crescent Moon Press Publisher’s Spotlight as well as taking pitches on Wednesday!

And because I had such a busy week and didn’t get a chance to pick a winner for the contest yet, we are going to extend it until Friday!! So if you haven’t entered yet, get your first and last line entered!! Good luck!

Make sure to get those pitches in readers. I can’t wait to announce the winners!!! Thank you all for spending your precious time with Donna and I today. Take care and I will see you her tomorrow when we announce the winners!

Until then. Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Micole

16 comments:

Melissa Mayhue said...

Hey, Donna and Micole ~ So fun to see you both in the same place...kind of like an online deja vu!!! Hugs, ladies!

~ Melissa
www.MelissaMayhue.com

Donna OBrien said...

Hey Melissa!! It's great having such a wonderful circle of friends, isn't it?

Hugs to you to!

Donna

Sheri Humphreys said...

I'll ditto that. It's fun when you know both the interviewer and the interviewee.

Donna, thanks for the peek into what an acquiring editor's day is like. You're a very busy girl! Sheri

Kinley Baker said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing a day in the life, Donna! Great question, Micole. You're very busy, Donna, but it sounds fantastic!

Christine Ashworth said...

Terrific interview, ladies. Donna, it was nice getting to know a bit more about you!

Donna OBrien said...

Sheri - Thanks! It was fun doing the interview with Micole! She's a very awesome lady, just like someone else I know...ahem..Sheri! :D I don't think I know anything other than busy, so this works for me. LOL I'm having a blast.

Kinley! Hi *waves*. It's great to see another CMP "face" here. LOL Thanks for the support. It is fantastic! I get to do something I love and hopefully find something completely awesome for everyone else to read and give some author the "break" they've been looking for!

Christine!! Another CMP Author! Woot! Thanks for stopping by. :D

Debra Salonen said...

HI, Donna,
I wanted to congratulate you on your new position. That's awesome! I love all of those genres--to read. Maybe I'll try my hand at writing something completely different one of these days. And, now, I know who to contact.
Best always,
Deb

Donna OBrien said...

Deb!

Wow...you most definitely know who to contact! I'd LOVE a shot at anything you'd care to submit. That'd be amazing fun to publish! Thanks for the congrats! See you at RT!

Pat Lee said...

Great interview Donna. It's nice to see a face behind the name. We love having you on our CMP team.

Donna OBrien said...

Hi Pat...Thanks! The CMP team is awesome! So glad to be here. :)

Michelle Clay said...

Great interview, Donna! It's nice to put a face to the name. :)

Donna OBrien said...

Hey Michelle - Thanks for stopping by! :D

Anonymous said...

Great interview! Nice to know more about you, Donna!! :)

Donna OBrien said...

Thanks Lynn!! Loving the CMP support! :D

Donna OBrien said...

Congratulations Maeve, Elizabeth and Eden!

Tanya Reimer said...

Wow, what a great interview! So glad I followed the link even if I am weeks late.